A Travellerspoint blog

Day 2


sunny 23 °C
View Japan on jasbar's travel map.

After a torturous neck breaking sleep, we finally awoke at 6.25am for the trek to haneda airport. Our destination, Toyama!

I woke with a shocking headache that would be my unwanted stowaway for the trip to toyama. I know, I know open a can of harden the fuck up. I did!

We stayed at Hamamatsucho due to it's proximity to the nearby monorail which takes you straight to haneda airport in around 20 mins. We managed to get on the monorail and it all went quite smoothly to the airport. Vanessa made a friend by offering an old lady her seat who proceeded to shower her with smiles and nods for the rest of the trip.

Check in was smooth and we managed to find a delicious bento box with ginger, bacon and noodles for breakfast. It was delish!

After landing in Toyama there was much lol's as we had no idea how to get to Toyama. The bus we were supposed to get on was full to the brim and the next not due for an hour. So after much standing there looking sad and repeatedly looking at the schedule on the wall the driver took pity on us and managed to squeeze us on at the front. What was really bizarre was you don't pay when you get on you pay when you get off. So people would get off at the back of the bus and walk to the front to pay the driver. Was weird.

After getting off the bus near JR station Toyama we were again nearly fooled by google maps on the iphone. It truly is hit and miss in japan. It told me I needed to take a tram for 4 stops followed by a 6 min walk. We decided to splurge on a cab who laughed and told us our hotel was actually across the road and up a bit. Fuck you google! We paid him 560 yen to do a uturn and drop us right out the front.

Check in wasn't till 3pm so we dropped the bags off and decided to explore. We were very surprised to find it was actually quite hot. A nice 23 degrees with the sun very bright in our eyes. On the bus into the city we had noticed Toyama castle so decided to walk back and check it out.


Toyama castle was actually pretty disappointing. It's actually a modern rebuild of part of the castle and inside was a small folk museum with everything in japanese. Bit of a waste of time really.

Next stop was Daiwa shopping mall, with ibuprofen my priority (still had that shocking headache, fuck you buckwheat pillow!). Ibuprofen obtained, headache sorted it was now time for lunch. We proceeded to the top floor food court where we were greeted by some pretty high priced food. I had to double check we hadn't actually gone to soapland, because at these prices I would be expecting a happy ending.

Instead we went to the basement where there was a food hall (think david jones food hall) and there was a nice restaurant there. Beer + full belly and we were happy.


By this time we had our second wind and so decided to just walk. We noticed the Tatayama Alps in the distance so decided to walk in that direction to see if a better photo opportunity presented itself. Along the way we passed a nice autumn leafed lined stream. So worth the diversion for that alone.


By this time we were quite tired so time to head to the hotel and complete check in, followed by a power nap. Thankfully the hotel (hotel comfort), had excellent pillows :D.

After waking we decided we'd go and try and book our tickets for Takayama in the morning at the nearby JR station. We went in prepared with the Japanese we needed to say to secure said tickets. It was all going swimmingly, the guy understood us on first attempt, punched in the details and this is where it went pear shaped. Train was full and we were now left with no pre-prepared Japanese script. It felt like a scene out of fearing and loathing las vegas. Hilariously the guy went to get someone from the back who spoke english. Hilarious because the guy only knew a few more words than the first guy. Somehow we walked away with 4 tickets (2 each) to the destination and we have no fucking clue as to what they mean. My theory is they are just unreserved which means we can catch the train, just not on a reserved ticket. We'll see how well that theory holds up in the morning.


Tickets in hand, baffled expressions still on our faces we decided it was time for dinner. Found a place in the food court of the nearby mall and ordered shabu shabu with the prerequisite beers. I had originally ordered some katsu which I then cancelled in favour of joining vanessa with the shabu shabu. This was obviously lost in translation so we ended up with both. Not complaining though as it was delicious. Came with some sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle which was also delicious. Overall a successfully enjoyable dinner.

Weather prediction over the next few days is rain so before we called it a night we stopped to pick up an umbrella. Right so now we are ready for Takayama in the morning (assuming these tickets hold up).

Posted by jasbar 03:30 Archived in Japan

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint